The German SpeechDat(II) MDB-1000 comprises 1295 German speakers (663 males, 610 females, 22 speakers with gender not specified) recorded over the German mobile telephone network. The MDB-1000 database is partitioned into 8 CDs in ISO 9660 format. The speech databases made within the SpeechDat(II) project were validated by SPEX, the Netherlands, to assess their compliance with the SpeechDat format and content specifications.
Speech samples are stored as sequences of 8-bit 8 kHz A-law. Each prompted utterance is stored in a separate file. Each signal file is accompanied by an ASCII SAM label file which contains the relevant descriptive information.
Each speaker uttered the following items
- 3 isolated digits
- 1 sequence of 10 isolated digits
- 4 connected digits: 1 prompt sheet number (5+ digits), 1 telephone number (9-11 digits), 1 credit card number (15-16 digits), 1 PIN code (6 digits)
- 3 dates: 1 spontaneous date (e.g. birthday), 1 prompted date (word style), 1 relative and general date expression.
- 1 word spotting phrase using an application word (embedded).
- 3 application words
- 3 spelled words: 1 spontaneous name (own forename), 1 city name, 1 real / artificial word for coverage.
- 1 currency money amount.
- 1 natural number.
- 5 directory assistance names: 1 spontaneous name (own forename), 1 city of birth / growing up (spontaneous), 1 most frequent cities (set of 500), 1 most frequent company / agency (set of 500), 1 ?forename surname? (set of 150 ?full? names)
- 2 questions including ?fuzzy? yes / no: 1 predominantly ?Yes? question, 1 predominantly ?No? question.
- 9 phonetically rich sentences.
- 2 time phrases: 1 time of day (spontaneous), 1 time phrase (word style).
- 4 isolated words.
The following age distribution has been obtained: 34 speaker are below 16 years old, 587 speakers are between 16 and 30, 376 speakers are between 31 and 45, 199 speakers are between 46 and 60, 48 speakers are over 60, and 51 speakers of unknown age.
A pronunciation lexicon with a phonemic transcription in SAMPA is also included.